Speech & Language Therapy Provision within Alt Bridge School
Alt Bridge School places a high priority on developing and supporting all pupil’s language, communication, and social-interaction skills.
Our school is working in partnership with Bridge Speech Therapy to provide specialist speech and language therapy input directly within the school. Sophie Crilly is the current Speech & Language Therapist working within school. Sophie comes into school on a weekly basis (Tuesdays or Wednesdays).
Sophie works jointly and collaboratively will teaching staff to ensure they incorporate language & communication strategies into everyday teaching practice.
A high priority of the SALT service in Alt Bridge is to upskill staff and increase their specialist knowledge (via training and regular liaison); ensuring they employ a range of ‘communication friendly’ strategies that promote and develop pupil’s language and communication skills.
Types of Input may include:
- Speech & Language Therapy diagnostic assessments for pupils (referred by teaching staff).
- Support, advice & training for teachers & parents to ensure all pupils have an appropriate means/way to communicate their needs, wants, thoughts and ideas.
- Direct therapy support (individual or small group interventions).
- Individual speech & language therapy programmes of advice with specific resources & strategies provided.
- Modelling and implementing strategies, therapy techniques and targeted interventions, to ensure specific approaches are embedded in the pupil’s everyday learning environment.
- Working collaboratively with teaching staff to incorporate SLC targets into Individual Education Plans (IEP).
Areas the Speech & Language Therapist can provide support with:
- Understanding of language concepts & verbal processing skills
- Verbal reasoning and abstract language skills (Blank Language Scheme)
- Vocabulary skills & word finding difficulties
- Spoken language & oral-narrative skills
- Social-communication & social-interaction skills
- Developmental Language Disorder (DLD)
- Speech sound difficulties/disorders
- Selective Mutism
For further information or advice about the Speech and Language Therapy provision and support available in Alt Bridge School then please do not hesitate to contact Sophie Crilly via the main office in school or via her mobile: 07906 351539.